Friday, May 8, 2009

standing still on the autobahn

usually when you get a rental car, it has no guts. no get-up-and-go. i think they do it differently in germany where the rentals need to keep up on the famous autobahns. i had my VW golf settle right in at 130 km/hr. that's a little over 80 mph, and for me, that's pretty zippy. i have been known to drive like a grandma when i am not running into things in parking lots and tearing bumpers off my cars.

i felt pretty good about myself out on the open road, sort of like in eastern oregon or west texas where you can haul ass without anyone around to care. mom and i were listening to some pop hits (poker face makes me want to drive fast and simultaneously punch someone in their poker face) and i had the golf up to about 150 km/hr (93 mph-ish) when a little BMW roadster zoomed by at the speed of sound. he was followed by a few Mercedes, a motorcycle, and a Porsche. i didn't mind until the 95 honda civic whipped by like i was standing still. that was followed by an 88' Opel sedan of some sort -- the german version of the chevy cavalier.

talk about taking the wind out of my sails. we quickly exited the autobahn in favor of the two-lane country byways where i could still drive fast and pretend like my golf cornered like it was on rails. it doesn't. the golf corners like a shoebox. but at least no one could pass me.

4 comments:

weeder1 said...

So are all the power lines underground in Europe or am I just missing them? Or are you such a fab photographer that you manage to exclude them? Inquiring minds want to know.

-hh said...

I just exclude the powerlines. Maybe next trip I'll take photos of the ugly and ordinary parts of charming Europe - dumpsters, highway litter, power lines, grafitti, white trash, factories - they have it all, but somehow it is downplayed by the extreme charm of the surroundings.

weeder1 said...

so you are still stuck on the autobahn? Wow. That was weeks ago!

Unknown said...

Not quite sure why I haven't seen before, your blog is amazing. Brazilian Blowout Masque