Saturday, November 22, 2008

tricked out

ever since i went to amsterdam last september, i've been obsessed with european cruising bikes. i told dan about it, my mom, my friend erica, the botts, carrie -- whenever we were in a "bike friendly town" i was on and on about getting one of these tricked out rides with the full fenders, wicker basket, and mandatory bell. finally my parents got tired of hearing me, so they pitched in to the holly's third, and hopefully last, bike fund as a thank you gift for my tour guide services.

dan sort of didn't get it, why in the hell did i need three bikes? well, my road bike is for long distance riding and exercise, my mountain bike is for off road action, and this bike will be for going to the supermarket or when i have to go home late from erin's house all by myself and feel like being on a bike will make me fast, and thus impervious to knife attacks in dark alleys.

i was hoping for a classic rusty cambridge model, but old bikes are at least twice as expensive as new ones. and my town is quite hilly, so i thought having a few gears would be a better plan. walking my bike up a hill isn't going to be effective against those drunk knife wielding brits.

so, i finally found my lovely new tricked out ride. on sale, some rusty parts, a new wicker basket and i was off to the Tesco for some arugula and aubergines.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Hooray! You are officially an old lady now that you can ride your "wizard of oz" basket bike around Bury. I am going to get you one of those grocery push carts to take around town next. (I am actually insanely jealous of the bike and am making fun of you to make myself feel better...)

Unknown said...

Love it. Now you need little dog or something for the basket too.

weeder1 said...

Yeah! You need a Toto!

Fisher said...

Oo, that looks totally cute - congrats! You're so right about old vintage bikes being 4 times the price, crazy eh? The old ones don't even have any gears.. more effort = $$$? *boggle*

Now you need to get a big coat, furry earmuffs and some snow chain things so you can actually use it in the next few months heh :D

-Carrie

Unknown said...

amazing blog. Brazilian Blowout Professional Smoothing Solution