Friday, June 4, 2010

busy day

after a lovely morning of coconut coffee and the Washington Post, i took the S2 bus (air-conditioned!) to 16th and W Street where i found a trendy little bike shop and a hot floridian named Adrian. Adrian talked me into a bright blue commuter cycle for my summer adventure.

i know that i could have scoured the craigslist or went to Target and got a lead-filled cheapy, but i have an unhealthy attraction to bikes. and i know how awful it is to pedal 62 lbs. of rust and steel up the slightest incline. so, my summer wheels are light and trendy, and probably begging to be stolen. oh, please bicycle thief ring, wait until august at least.....hopefully the Kryptonite U-lock will keep me safe.

after Bicycle Station, i pedaled around in the hot-hot-hot-humid-humid-humid DC sun (spf 30 for sure) and up the 14th St. hill to urban Target.

shopping complete. first ever Chipotle for lunch. and i'm feeling like a pro at this city living.

on my way home, i googled hardware stores (iphone rules!) because i needed to make myself a copy of the house key. my Target goods were bungeed to the front of the bike (aren't i genius?), and i whizzed over to a mom and pop shop in another ridiculously trendy 'hood.

i was standing inside the shop, enjoying the A/C, feeling ever-so-cosmopolitan, and waiting for 'pop' to cut my key. a couple of customers come in.

the guy behind me asks me, "is it too hot to ride your bike in this weather?"

"i'm not sure. i'll know once i get home! i just got the bike today."

"i need to get myself one."

"yeah, you should. it's pretty fun times, so far."

chat, chat, chat.

pop passes me the key and i hand over my $1.84.

outside for the trip home.

as i'm unlocking the Kryptonite, mr. chatty comes out and --- asks me on a date.

what the hell? i've only been here for 18 hours.

it was so awkward. i've never been asked on a date before by a complete stranger.

"um, uh. actually, i am married. but i am also really flattered. i appreciate the offer."

"reaaallly, married?!?! wow. well, i didn't see that coming, i guess."

come to find out, Osama (haha! Osama) is also new in town. getting his Ph.D in engineering from George Mason and thought i was cute, smart, and date-able. i, on the other hand, thought i was sweaty, too talkative (nerves), and now horrifically embarrassed.

i thanked Osama again for his boosting my self-esteem and pedaled like hell out of trendy-land.

i think i might just lead with the left hand from now on.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude. Seriously? Isn't it amazing when you're not looking they find you?!

On another note...YAY for being on the same continent! Love DC. Gonna have to figure out a trip to visit Jen in Baltimore and you in DC this summer. Maybe July.